Alexander J. Anglim, Esq.
Insurance Recovery & Civil Litigation Attorney
Mr. Anglim regularly represents businesses and individuals in civil litigation matters. He has represented clients in cases arising from breach of contract, consumer fraud, professional malpractice, construction defects and other claims. He is an experienced and forceful courtroom advocate and a trusted advisor to his clients.
Experienced Counsel for Policyholders
Alexander Anglim represents corporate and individual policyholders in disputes with their insurance companies.
Mr. Anglim is a seasoned insurance litigator who has represented policyholders in a wide variety of insurance coverage disputes, often involving very large claims and/or cutting-edge legal issues. He has successfully represented clients in lawsuits involving property insurance, business interruption and other time-element coverages, general liability policies, advertising injury coverage, professional liability and errors and omissions liability (“E&O”) policies, directors and officers (“D&O”) coverage, and other types of property-casualty insurance.
In addition to representing policyholders in litigation, Mr. Anglim provides insurance-related counseling and advice. This embraces a variety of services. For example, he has helped clients to review, analyze and reconstruct their historical insurance coverage programs, which can be crucial for clients facing environmental or asbestos-related claims. Mr. Anglim also has helped clients to prepare, present and negotiate claims without the need for litigation. He also has served as “personal” or independent counsel for policyholders being defended under a reservation of rights.
In addition to his legal experience, Mr. Anglim also spent several years working as an insurance adjuster. He has leveraged his legal training and real-world, insurance-industry experience to help clients recover many millions of dollars in insurance proceeds.
Unlike many law firms who depend on insurance companies for work, Hartmann & Anglim never represents insurance companies in coverage matters. In insurance coverage cases, the firm exclusively represents policyholders.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 2000
- Articles editor, Annual Survey of American Law
- B.S. (Economics), magna cum laude, College of New Jersey, 1993
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author, "Risk Management Alert: Can You Rely on A Certificate of Insurance?" August 2017
- Author, "Avoiding Uninsured Losses Due to Frozen Pipes," Client Alert, January 2017
- Author, "The Careful Analysis of 'Advertising Injury' Claims," Law360.com, August 6, 2012
- Co-Author, “Five Ways to Reduce The Cost of Construction Accidents,” Construction Executive Magazine, April 2011
- Speaker, “Using OCIPs and CCIPs,” Lorman Educational Services, February 6, 2009
- Author, “Business Interruption Insurance Law After 9/11,” Coverage, September/October 2003
- Speaker, “Business Interruption Insurance,” New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting 2003, May 15, 2003
- Co-Author, “New Claims, Old Policies: Understanding and Maximizing Your Company's Insurance Coverage for Asbestos Claims,” The Lumber Co-Operator, March 2003
- Speaker, “Hot Topics in Insurance Law,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February and March, 2003
- Co-Author, “Environmental Insurance Law: Filling in the Gaps,” New Jersey Law Journal, February 24, 2003
- Co-author, “New Jersey Environmental Insurance Law: Filling in the Gaps,” Mealey's Litigation Report, January 7, 2003
- Co-author, “Essentials of Business Interruption Insurance Law,” Mealey's Business Interruption Insurance, December 2001
- Contributing Author, “A Practical Guide to New Jersey Employment Law: The Employer's Resource,” (Chapter: “Personnel Files”) NJBIA, June 2001
Awards and Recognition
- Selected, Super Lawyers magazine - Rising Stars Edition, 2009, 2010 and 2011
- Named as one of the New Jersey Law Journal’s “40 Under 40,” 2009
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit